Chef Software is the industry leader in IT automation and DevOps solutions. We develop the world's best products for managing applications and infrastructure at scale, and we deploy them against real problems in all kinds of industries. We’re writing the rules of the cloud -- rules the world’s top engineers live, breathe and contribute to. Our platform is used to enable hundreds of millions of people around the world to chat, fly, present, bank, game, shop, and learn. Chances are the web applications you use every day have infrastructure built, deployed, secured and ran with our code.
We are a dynamic and rapidly growing software company with a strong sense of dedication to our customers and the Chef community. We work hard but try not to take ourselves too seriously. This is a very collaborative and inclusive work environment. Individuals, strong on aptitude and attitude, will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers through working with some of the most advanced technology and talented developers in the business. We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits, and a professional yet relaxed atmosphere.
Application automation (Chef Habitat) is one of the three pillars of Chef technologies, in addition to Infrastructure Automation and Security and Compliance Automation. Chef Habitat enables IT Operators to codify how an application is built, how it runs, and all of its dependencies to free the application from underlying infrastructure and make updates easy. It enables the same application, along with all its dependencies to be defined once and packaged to run in various environments including on various Operating Systems, cloud environments and containers.
Chef Habitat allows you to package, deploy, and run your application in an infrastructure agnostic way. Chef Habitat enables applications to run in containers, in virtual machines, and on bare metal hosts. As a member of the Habitat team you'll be working on our Supervisor and/or Builder components. Supervisor is an agent that manages Habitat enabled services and shares configuration data with other Supervisors on other machines. Builder is the artifact repository, user facing API, CI build service, and web front end for Habitat packages. Both of these services are written in Rust. We also make extensive use of Bash and Powershell shell scripts for creating Habitat plans and building our packages.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Advocate for and advance the architecture of Chef Habitat
- Build out the innovative and aggressive roadmap for Chef Habitat in the best possible way for our customers
- Teach, mentor and learn from your team of world class engineers
- Take on responsibility for and iteratively drive to the successful implementation an area of the product
- Support improvements to our core product, CLIs, APIs as well as core development processes
- Work on issues and improvements in our tools critical to the success of Chef’s customers and the broader Chef community
- Collaborate with various stakeholders of the project including product management, UX, other teams as well as customers
WHO YOU ARE:
- You have systems software development skills with experience with either Windows or Linux Operating Systems and are willing to learn the other
- You have demonstrable deep software development skills in at least one systems development language such as Rust, Go, C#, C++ or Java. Rust experience preferred
- You have experience with modern technology stacks with a bent for system level software
- Bash or Powershell experience desired and are willing to learn the other
- Experience building and operating high-performance systems.
- Experience with Windows and Linux systems internals desirable
- Working experience with Containers and Container orchestration tools such as Docker and Kubernetes a huge plus
- Have a minimum of a Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science Plus 5 years of experience or equivalent experience
- You like to dive in, learn new things, and want to build awesome products
- You enjoy collaborating closely with Chef customers and internal engineering teams to understand their complex issues, solve their problems and elicit frequent feedback on the solutions you provide
- You believe quality is part of the process and not an afterthought - we are well rounded engineers, not developers who handoff to QA
Benefits are awesome - a competitive salary, equity for all, solid medical/dental benefits, 401(k), telecommuting, flextime, a variety of interesting projects, and brilliant co-workers.
At Chef, we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our products and our community to flourish. Chef is honored to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or Veteran status.