Apptio Cloudability is on the leading edge of cloud cost management and optimization. We use the latest technologies to help our customers understand, visualize, and take control of their cloud costs. Building our application requires a deep understanding of our problem domain and a passion for technical challenges. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will work closely with your team to build the Cloudability platform while honing your craft.
We're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Data Team. This team is responsible for the analytics infrastructure and platform that powers the rest of the company and application. You'll be building distributed systems in Java, working with petabytes of data, and cultivating the thoughtful and caring culture that distinguishes our Engineering Team. The team is located in Portland, OR, and we expect new team members to join us on site.
As a Senior Software Engineer at Cloudability, you will work closely with the Data Team to understand the problem domain and technical challenges of the team. You will be responsible for core functionality and strategic direction of the team’s features. Additionally, you will mentor members of the team to become more proficient software engineers. You will be expected to participate in code reviews, provide constructive feedback and direct learning through focused questions. Above all, you will work as a member of the team to provide our customers with a great product while you help grow a strong engineering team.
Some of the technologies you'll be using include:
- Cloud vendors including AWS, GCP, Azure, and their hosted services like RDS, SQS, and Lambda.
- NoSQL/distributed such as DynamoDB and Redis.
- Hadoop and other "Big Data" platforms.
- Established Java codebases.
In a Typical Week You Will:
- Commit code to our production systems as well as participate in the testing and validation of new features.
- Work with several engineers to understand their work for the current sprint and give guidance on their work.
- Participate in code reviews, providing feedback, and giving direction.
- Join regular standups to discuss project status, new projects, and blocking issues.
- Help lead communities of practice, technical lunch & learn sessions, or engineering groups to continue learning.
- 6+ years of experience delivering enterprise-level software.
- Demonstrated leadership role in building and delivering complex software systems.
- Experience in working with customers, product management, and senior management to deliver value to the market.
- Excellent knowledge of data structures, algorithms, enterprise systems, asynchronous architectures, and object-oriented programming.
- Demonstrated experience with best SDLC practices: coding standards, reviews, code management, build processes, and testing.
- Experience with relational databases, schema design, SQL.
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Experienced with modern API design and implementations preferably in Java.
- Experience with columnar data technologies and databases, like Apache Parquet, Redshift, or Big Query.
- Experience with Linux-based integrated development environments, or equivalent (e.g., IntelliJ IDEA).
- You have built and scaled software on public clouds.
Apptio is the leading software to fuel digital transformation. We help technology and finance leaders make smart decisions as they plan, analyze, and optimize technology investments in pursuit of digital transformation. Apptio’s software uses machine learning to translate technology costs and utilization across on-premises systems, vendors, projects, agile and cloud systems into a holistic, business-centric view. With Apptio, IT leaders make smarter digital transformation investments. Companies of all sizes and geographies trust Apptio to fuel their digital transformation, including 50% of the Fortune 100. For more information, please visit www.Apptio.com.
Apptio Inc. is not open to 3rd party solicitation or resumes for our posted FTE positions. Resumes received from 3rd party agencies that are unsolicited will be considered complimentary.
Apptio, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Apptio, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.