We’re looking for a product designer interested in applying their skills 🧠🎨 in service of a more just and equitable world ✊.
About Khan Academy
At Khan Academy, our mission is to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. 🌍🌏🌎 We approach it with a spirit of humility and thoughtfulness about how technology is best positioned to help.
Khan Academy is a not-for-profit, and our funders care just as much as we do about our positive impact, efficacy, and leveling the playing field in education.
About our team
The team at Khan Academy comes from a wide variety of backgrounds, and we actively foster a cross-disciplinary environment because we believe that’s where the magic happens. Khan Academy currently employs around 200 full time staff, including the creators of our educational content, who come from teaching backgrounds.
The design team is a small, highly diverse group of people responsible for UX research, brand and marketing design, product design, and UX writing. Each member has a lot of impact and makes huge contributions across the board. There are currently 14 people on the team, from a wide variety of backgrounds: media (Vox), civics (18F), consumer (Square, NerdWallet, Facebook), enterprise (IBM), service (Starbucks) and the agency world (frog design, 2x4, Instrument). About half of the team is based in the Bay Area, and half is distributed across California, Washington, Oregon, Maryland, and New York — so we operate in a creatively distributed-friendly way.
About the senior product designer role
As a product designer at Khan Academy, you will be responsible for helping shape our product strategy and using your design skills to develop impactful solutions for our users — from researching and defining opportunities to shipping and iterating on features.
This role is on our Classroom team, which focuses on the experience of teachers using Khan Academy in the classroom. You’ll design tools to help teachers make classroom learning with Khan Academy personalized and joyful, and to provide them with insights to best support each of their students’ needs.
You may be a good fit if
- You have deep experience designing digital apps and systems, shipping products, and collaborating with a cross-functional product team.
- You have a strong portfolio and are fluent across the design process—from problem definition to high fidelity design—with deep passion and expertise in at least 2-3 of these areas:
- Interaction design and information architecture
- Visual design
- Working with or creating comprehensive design systems
- Accessibility and inclusive design
- Systems design
- Data visualization
- Qualitative and quantitative research
- Service design processes and frameworks
- Design thinking and workshop facilitation
- Discursive/speculative design
- You’re introspective, mature, and have excellent communication skills. You can demonstrate that you’re invested in mentoring other designers and collaborating with your peers and other disciplines, such as engineering and PM.
- You have a high comfort level working within a self-directed culture, solving complex problems, and navigating ambiguity.
- You’re passionate about education and designing engaging learning experiences, and you’re deeply curious about how and why people learn.
About our benefits
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- Flexible work and time-off schedules to encourage work-family balance and holidays
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus lots of snacks and beverages
- Great location: short walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View. We have a preference for this candidate to work from our office in Mountain View, CA; but for the right candidate and fit, we are open to remote arrangements.
- Awesome team events, on-sites and off-sites, company parties and BBQs, and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to improve real lives and the opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where parents, Black and Latinx, women and gender minorities, and LGBT+ identified folks support one another
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
How to apply
- Attach your resume and portfolio to the job posting on our Khan Careers page
- Address the following prompt in the space provided below: We believe that reaching all learners requires a team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team’s experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives - whether personal, professional, academic, or in your own classroom - would contribute to the diversity of our team and our ability to understand and address the needs of all learners.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.