Khan Academy is a nonprofit on a mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of high-quality instructional and practice resources that empowers learners and the teachers who support them. Whether they’re studying metaphors, mitosis, Marbury v. Madison, or multivariable calculus, we want to offer students the resources to realize that they can learn anything.
About the Data Engineer II / Business Intelligence Engineer II role
Khan Academy is looking for a passionate Data Engineer / BI Engineer to help change the world – join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. In service to that mission, we are strengthening our Data Engineering (DE) capabilities to enable the organization to use data to inform the decisions we make. As the second hire in our DE team, you’ll have ownership of our enterprise data model and the core data pipelines that power our top line metrics and critical analyses. You’ll work on projects that improve the quality and reliability of our existing data and you’ll also enable entire new areas of the organization with new core data sources and DE solutions.
We’re a small team with big dreams and we’re only just getting started. We have some of the richest educational data in the world, and we want to leverage that data to develop a clearer picture of who our users are, how they are using the site, and how we could better serve them on their educational journey. Your work will enable answering critical and meaningful questions like "how do students learn most effectively?" and "how can we improve our content and product?".
Systematically build out our enterprise data model and warehouse:
- Design, build, and productionize our ever-improving suite of core pipelines and data tables to support standardized reporting and analysis
- Collaborate with engineers on the infrastructure team to improve our data technology stack (logging, instrumentation, ETL, security). You may also pitch in to help them bring new data into our warehouse
- Partner with other members of the analytics team, the research team, and the broader product and business teams to design and standardize business rules and metric definitions. When needed, you may also assist them in dashboard building for our business audiences
- Implement EDW standards and robust monitoring/QA processes to ensure we continue to improve the quality and reliability of our data
Empower every team with data:
- Identify, pilot, and deploy whichever tools, datasets, and processes are best suited to increase access to and usage of data across Khan Academy, so that key decisions we make are backed up with solid data and analysis
- In addition to supporting members of the analytics team, work with the product, content, philanthropy, marketing teams, and others to bring data to their fingertips, ideally with solutions that allow them to self-serve
- You will also build infrastructural data solutions to facilitate reporting to external partners and will ensure the highest standards of data accuracy, reliability, and security
Help instill a ‘data driven’/’data informed’ culture:
- Shepherd our Metrics and Data Documentation wiki
- Train team members on data skills and tooling
- Find creative and insightful ways to report and promote how we’re performing on key metrics
- 3+ years experience in the data engineering or data warehousing field; or in a business intelligence field with a strong emphasis on the data modeling and pipeline work. Also ideally in a consumer facing internet business or education setting
- Advanced SQL skills (window functions, creating UDFs, DML/DDL commands, etc…)
- Experienced in recognizing repeated, inconsistent SQL query patterns and creating solutions that are more performant and cheaper
- Proficiency in writing and maintaining data pipelines and data quality monitors in a workflow management tool for productionized solutions, with source control and code review
- Proficiency in computer science and software engineering fundamentals, including at least one scripting language (e.g. Python) preferred
- Experience across the entire data lifecycle: instrumentation, logging, data modeling, ETL, Business Intelligence and visualization tools, etc.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, visual)
- Empathy for learners around the world. You love learning and are excited about helping others learn to love learning. You’re motivated to learn new things and share what you learn with the world
- Excitement about helping Khan Academy bring a free, world-class education to the world
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- Flexible work and time-off schedules to encourage work-family balance and holidays
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus lots of snacks and beverages
- Great location: short walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View. We are also open to remote (US + Canada) candidates!
- Awesome team events, on-sites and off-sites, company parties and BBQs, and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to improve real lives and the opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where parents, Black and Latinx, women and gender minorities, and LGBT+ identified folks support one another
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
How to Apply
- At Khan Academy, we believe that reaching all learners requires an analytics team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team's experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives— whether personal, professional, academic, or otherwise— could contribute to the diversity of our team.
- Please answer the next two data engineering questions with full details, as if you were verbally answering them in your first interview with the hiring manager:
#1 - Why are you passionate about a career in Data Engineering, and explain why it resonates more than being a Data Infrastructure Engineer (building data tools) or a Data Analyst/Scientist (generating and storytelling insights)?
#2 - Describe a past, specific data engineering solution with major business impact where your main contributions were between the infrastructure team that provided the raw data and the analytics or business team that generated and delivered the insights.
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.